Effective Crisis Communications can be the difference in your company surviving crisis, or suffering irreparable damage.
Crisis Management experts Adoni Media has put together some tips and tricks for the perfect Crisis Communications plan:
- Before a crisis has even struck, establish a Crisis Communications action plan so you are prepared for whatever comes your way.
- Deliver consistent key messaging across all media and platforms. If your messages are conflicting, you risk making your company look weak.
- Designate a credible spokesperson, who is media trained and informed of the key messaging.
- Keep communications factual. A lie can put your company in more trouble than when you started. If there is missing information, don’t make it up, rather say you will issue updates when more information becomes available.
- Set up media monitoring. This way you can monitor all the coverage and gauge public opinion to act accordingly and adjust your plan where needed.
- Genuinely express empathy and demonstrate concern through your statements and actions.
- Don’t be silent or say “no comment” as this makes you look guilty and leaves the public assuming the worst.
- Don’t promise resolution as this may not always be possible. This can lead to a second wave of negative media coverage if that resolution isn’t reached.
- Don’t point the finger at someone else, accept responsibility when appropriate.
- Don’t keep employees in the dark. They are an integral part of your business so should be constantly updated on what’s happening and how the issue is being managed.
- Don’t ‘wing it’. Journalists will maximise the opportunity to find a weak spot in your business and leverage it amid a crisis.
If you’re looking to prepare, Adoni Media provides crisis management training and can help you build a customised crisis management plan.